Monday, August 3, 2009

YL Tent Camp 2009 - Preparations

Since the other four members of our family headed to camp on Sunday afternoon, Allison and I spent the evening and morning together at home just the two of us. I really enjoy the time I spend with Allison alone; she is such a lovely, mature, insightful, and fun person to be with (and perhaps gets buried by family chaos too frequently!). I appreciate different things about each of our children and genuinely enjoyed Allison's strengths today.
We met other leaders and work crew members at church and spent hours sorting equipment, gathering supplies, and loading (literally) a couple of TONS of supplies into the trucks.
We were glad to have so many helping hands. Even some of the campers came by and helped us load the trucks.
After loading, we drove in a caravan out to Turgen Valley. We had been watching the sky the entire day, trying to pray away the dark clouds. As tradition would have it, however, the skies opened up when we were pulling into the camp area. It rained, torrentially, the remainder of the day, complicating the issues of setting up meeting and sleeping tents, unloading boxes of supplies, setting up the generator, and hanging tarps for the kitchen. Uggh. We were all soaked, cold, and muddy by the end of the day. Thankfully, we had purchased plov to eat by lantern-light for a late dinner and we went to bed, hoping for a better morning.

No comments: